Milltown to DowntownBackground textureGo to home pageFrançais
Navigation linksSpacer Image
Good Times
Earning a Living
Mind and Spirit
Lure of the New
Building a City
Spacer Image
Image Search
Telling Our Story
Image use and Copyright Information
Sitemap
Spacer Image
Explore
Spacer Image Learn about the highlights of Prince George's boom years. Spacer Image
BackgroundSpacer ImageThe Exploration Place
Background
Spacer ImageSpacer Image

Image Search
Spacer Image
Events from 1970

In January, Northern Hardware owner Harold Moffat was sworn in as mayor. In a move to save overtime, he suspended snow removal during weekends on residential streets. Being a heavy snow year, residents called in from all the subdivisions pleading for help; many citizens strongly protested the new mayorís first decision. City Council reinstated the service.

Later in January, heavy flooding threatened homes on Cottonwood Island. At one point, water rose eight inches in fifteen minutes. More than 100 people had to be evacuated. A long process began to determine the value of the homes, many of which were small shacks. Owners were paid compensation and assisted to relocate to new accommodations.

Prince George merchants approached City Council during February with concerns about traffic on Third Avenue. Motorists had difficulty leaving their cars when parked along the curb because of traffic flowing in both directions; access to and from downtown businesses was becoming a safety issue. The proposed solution was to turn Third Avenue into one-way traffic between Victoria and Queensway. The cost of converting that section was $10,000 for new signs, street line painting and altering traffic signals.

Northwood Pulp Limited announced in March their plans to build a $6.7 million sawmill at North Fraser Flats. The new plant would mean 150 new jobs and would have no waste to burn because all byproduct material, including bark, sawdust and planer shavings would be used for hog fuel at the pulp mill.

In May, the College of New Caledonia announced the appointment of Dr. Fred Speckeen, Principal of Cambrian Applied Arts and Technology College in Sudbury, as its second Principal.

Businessman John McInnis, who arrived in 1910 and began his construction and building supply business in 1920, was honoured by the Canadian Forestry Association. In honour of his devoted service as a founding member, the Association named the Junior Forest Warden camp "Camp McInnis."

The spring season saw a serious epidemic of German measles in Prince George. Doctors urged women to forego pregnancy for at least six months to avoid what was believed to be a 50/50 chance of producing a child with heart defects, mental deficiency or blindness.

Dezell Construction completed the Four Seasons swimming pool in time for a June opening.

On June 15, 1970 John Backhouse was recruited as Chief Librarian for Prince George. Sixteen years later, residents elected him Mayor. He served four terms, retiring in 1996.

Vancouver-based television station BCTV started the application process to bring a re-broadcasting station to Prince George. They agreed not to establish a local station that would compete with CKPG-TV.

On August 5, the Rt. Hon. Pierre Trudeau traveled to Prince George. Arrangements were made for a cavalcade of ten cars to transport the media covering the Prime Ministerís visit.

Jump to year:
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972

Milltown to Downtown: Prince George 1947-1972   |  Project Credits   |   Contact
©2002 The Exploration Place at the Fraser Fort-George Regional Museum