Milltown to DowntownBackground textureGo to home pageFrançais
Navigation linksSpacer Image
Good Times
Earning a Living
Mind and Spirit
Lure of the New
Building a City
Spacer Image
Image Search
Telling Our Story
Image use and Copyright Information
Sitemap
Spacer Image
Explore
Spacer Image Learn about the highlights of Prince George's boom years. Spacer Image
BackgroundSpacer ImageThe Exploration Place
Background
Spacer ImageSpacer Image

Image Search
Spacer Image
Events from 1956

Alderman Carrie Jane Gray was appointed Deputy Mayor by Mayor John Morrison.

Mayor Morrison owned a menswear store. In the 1950s, banks were never open on Saturdays. Men coming in from work in the bush needed to cash their cheques and knew they were welcome at the mayorís store. Allowing his customers to use the store like a bank was accommodating and practical, and a gesture that people appreciated.

The first Saturday morning childrenís story hour took place at the Brunswick Street library on January 12. The opening session was attended by 130 children aged 3 to 12. Mrs. MacFarlane was storyteller for the younger children while Mrs. Musgrove engaged the 8 to 12 year olds. According to Librarian Bill Fraserís philosophy, reading to children was "a way to help the child obtain a love of books and reading." These and other events proved so successful that eventually the library became a very crowded place.

City Council voted in February to grant a natural gas distribution franchise to the Prince George Gas Company Ltd. Immediately, the company applied to the provincial government to build a lateral line to connect with the Westcoast Transmission main line running four miles east of the city. Over the next year, the Prince George Gas Company and Inland Natural Gas Company were before the courts in a dispute over distribution rights. Eventually, three referenda were held and Inland won.

The Prince George Curling Club installed the first artificial ice ever made in Prince George. The new rink covered 12,470 square feet.

In the spring, the Northwest Telephone Company commenced building a $1 million automatic telephone exchange, converting all telephones in Prince George to the dial system.

Major changes to downtown streets came with a springtime conversion of four avenues to one-way traffic flow. The return of angle parking added 500 parking spaces.

In August, the Pacific Great Eastern Railway made its long-awaited inaugural trip from Vancouver to Prince George.

The fastest growing industry was sawmilling. There were more than 500 sawmills set up within a hundred mile radius of Prince George.

Jump to year:
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972

Milltown to Downtown: Prince George 1947-1972   |  Project Credits   |   Contact
©2002 The Exploration Place at the Fraser Fort-George Regional Museum