Milltown to DowntownBackground textureGo to home pageFrançais
Navigation linksSpacer Image
Good Times
Earning a Living
Mind and Spirit
Lure of the New
Building a City
Spacer Image
Image Search
Telling Our Story
Image use and Copyright Information
Spacer Image
Spacer Image Learn about the highlights of Prince George's boom years. Spacer Image
BackgroundSpacer ImageThe Exploration Place
Spacer ImageSpacer Image

Image Search
Spacer Image
Events from 1967

In celebration of British Columbia’s Centennial year, the province awarded $9,200 in grants to Prince George towards centennial projects.

The new Prince George City Hall was officially opened by Mayor Garvin Dezell on January 3, 1967. Construction had begun in September 1965. The total cost of the two-storey building was $725,000, including furniture and equipment. Although a three-storey building had been planned, the size was scaled back when tenders came in over budget. The building’s design allowed for future expansion The new workspace was a welcome change for city employees who had worked in the old structure since the city was incorporated in 1915. The new city hall was constructed with air conditioning, and an elevator shaft for use when more floors were added.

Revenue from parking meters was a welcome source of cash for the city. In January, the total collected from the previous year topped $63,000.

In commemoration of the Centennial year, and to honour the Fathers of Confederation, Education Minister Les Peterson announced a province-wide school holiday for February 17. The date chosen was the 152nd anniversary of the birth of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister.

The Downtown Businessmen’s Association unveiled the Centrum plan for developing the business area of the city. The plan was hailed as progressive and futuristic. It called for high rise parkades close to shopping streets, roofs over Third Avenue, Quebec and George Streets, apartment blocks and a monorail.

In March, with winter only beginning to wane, the management at Parkwood Mall thought customers would appreciate an entertaining diversion. They flew four penguins in from Vancouver to frolic in the mall. The black and white visitors arrived on a regular Canadian Pacific Airlines flight.

The City of Prince George mounted an official Coat of Arms on City Hall. The four quadrants of a circle represent the economic base of the city: forestry, mining, agriculture and transportation. A large moose head overhangs the circle, symbolizing the area’s outdoor heritage.

Jump to year:
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972

Milltown to Downtown: Prince George 1947-1972   |  Project Credits   |   Contact
©2002 The Exploration Place at the Fraser Fort-George Regional Museum