||Learn about the highlights of Prince George's boom years.
Jump to year:
Events from 1963
On January 1, the minimum hourly wage for workers in service industries was raised to $1.00.
The province declared Prince George "the fastest growing city in British Columbia." Growth was spurred mainly by the construction of three new pulp mills.
A group of twelve independent lumber producers joined together to form Overseas Sales Ltd. to market their products.
By February, Dominion Construction began placing the first steel for the Fraser River bridge. The 12-man crew was expected to have all 1,600 tons of steel in place by June so that decking could begin.
Another major building move occurred in March. Over the years, the CCF Hall on Fourth Avenue had been the site of many community meetings and social events. It was sold to the Hart Highway Community Club for use as a community centre. The building was transported to its new location on the Hart Highway.
Property owners living on the Island Cache announced that they planned to form a community improvement district. By April, they had elected five trustees to govern their organization, named Cottonwood Island Improvement District. Elected were Pat Forman, Doris Hakanson, Lawrence Haywood, George Lamanes and Irvin Wiley.
Regional air service was improved when Pacific Western Airlines offered freight and passenger service between Prince George and Hudson’s Hope beginning in April.
Seymour Subdivision opened with the sale conducted at city hall of the first 50 lots. The new community was named in honour of Mary Margaret (Granny) Seymour, respected "Matriarch of the North". She became famous for her knowledge of natural healing practices, midwifery, production of quilts and moccasins and her teaching of tolerance. Granny Seymour died three years later in 1966.
By August, a new church building for the congregation of St. Michael and All Angels was completed at Fifth Avenue and Victoria Street, next to the original church, which was converted into the church hall. Erected at a cost of $71,000, the A-frame church emulated the favoured style of Anglican churches being built across Canada.
Western White Spruce became recognized internationally as one of the world’s finest softwoods. During the year, 605 million feet of manufactured lumber was shipped out of the Prince George forest district. Prince George has a legitimate claim to the title "Spruce Capital."
Clearing began at Fifth Avenue and Central Street for the construction of the $5 million Spruceland Shopping Centre.
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972
Milltown to Downtown: Prince George 1947-1972
| Project Credits | Contact
©2002 The Exploration Place at the Fraser Fort-George Regional Museum