Milltown to DowntownBackground textureGo to home pageFrançais
Navigation linksSpacer Image
Good Times
Earning a Living
Mind and Spirit
Lure of the New
Building a City
Spacer Image
Image Search
Telling Our Story
Image use and Copyright Information
Spacer Image
Spacer Image Learn about the highlights of Prince George's boom years. Spacer Image
BackgroundSpacer ImageThe Exploration Place
Spacer ImageSpacer Image

Image Search
Spacer Image
Events from 1961

The Prince George Board of Trade became the Prince George Chamber of Commerce on February 1. The name change followed a trend that was happening in most communities around the province.

The original Mr. P. G. statue was made of wood and, at 40’ tall, was small enough to be towed into banquet halls or to be pulled as a float in parades. In between "appearances" it was kept on display at the Simon Fraser Hotel. Ownership of the statue was determined when the City announced it would donate Mr. P. G. to the Chamber of Commerce.

Numerous construction projects were underway in August. One was the building of a new horse shed at the exhibition grounds. Horse races were a highlight of the annual fall fair. Work began on the construction of a two-storey classroom block as an addition to Prince George Senior High School. The city’s population had passed 13,000 and the school anticipated increased student numbers.

A contract was awarded in December to build a 1,500 foot bridge over the Fraser River. The bridge was vital for opening up the large industrial subdivision on the east bank. The Board of Trade had expended extraordinary efforts in lobbying Premier W. A. C. Bennett to approve the required provincial contribution.

As an indication of the increased business activity and population growth, the Prince George Post Office reported handling the highest volume of mail ever during 1961. Another sign was the growing demand for power. That year, Prince George was the fastest-growing centre in the province, as indicated by power consumption. By December 31, the city recorded its largest number of building permits issued for single dwellings.

Jump to year:
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972

Milltown to Downtown: Prince George 1947-1972   |  Project Credits   |   Contact
©2002 The Exploration Place at the Fraser Fort-George Regional Museum