Milltown to DowntownBackground textureGo to home pageFrançais
Navigation linksSpacer Image
Good Times
Earning a Living
Mind and Spirit
Lure of the New
Building a City
Spacer Image
Image Search
Telling Our Story
Image use and Copyright Information
Sitemap
Spacer Image
Explore
Spacer Image Learn about the highlights of Prince George's boom years. Spacer Image
BackgroundSpacer ImageThe Exploration Place
Background
Spacer ImageSpacer Image

Image Search
Spacer Image
Events from 1948

During March, Dr. T. H. Patterson, director of the Cariboo Health Unit, issued a warning against drinking water from local rivers unless it had been treated by chlorinating, or had been boiled and cooled. Cases of water-borne disease were occurring and the incidence was expected to increase with milder weather.

The Prince George Board of Trade lobbied against the provincial government’s proposed three per cent sales tax. The government imposed the tax effective July 1. Exemptions were restaurant meals under 50 cents and items which retailed for under 15 cents. Retailers were to be permitted commission of 3% of taxes collected.

On April 15, the Canadian Bank of Commerce re-opened for business in the old Scout Hall at Third Avenue and Brunswick Street. A branch of the bank that had opened earlier in Prince George was closed in 1932. The former manager, C. D. Fyfe, was re-appointed to manage the new Prince George branch.

A small plane crashed to the ground at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Vancouver Street. The accident took the life of Rotary Club secretary Everett McEachern. The tree planted at that corner by Mayor Jack Nicholson and Rotary President Hubert King commemorates his memory.

In July, the Prince George Civic Centre Associated was incorporated under the Societies’ Act as the first step towards establishing a downtown civic centre.

Former Mayor and Minister of Education, H. G. Perry, sold his interest in the Prince George Citizen to the newspaper ‘s staff. On September 1, 1948 he would step down from his duties as Editor and Managing Director.

Completion of construction of the Hart Highway running north to Dawson Creek and Fort St. John, begun in August 1945, was accomplished by the end of December.

Jump to year:
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972

Milltown to Downtown: Prince George 1947-1972   |  Project Credits   |   Contact
2002 The Exploration Place at the Fraser Fort-George Regional Museum